I International e-Workshop of Photography
From July 13 to 22 , 2020
Director: Hisao Suzuki
Teaching Staff: Júlia de Balle, Alba Domènech
RCR Summer Workshop is born of a way of understanding architecture and landscape from a humanistic spirit. The coexistence in a specific space and time of different creative disciplines during the on-site workshop has generated synergies for mutual enrichment. The online format is heir to these ideas transferred to a virtual campus.
The workshop is designed following four main ideas that articulate the program:
- Competition Format: Closed exercises that condense a complex process within a specific time frame
- Transversality: An integrative interdisciplinary approach
- Sharing: Shared creativity fostering the capacity for dialogue
- Experience: Understanding derived from observation, participation and experience
The workshop has the aim of broadening knowledge of audiovisual and photography, centered in Architecture and Space. The course develops from the approach to the territory and architecture of RCR and combines reflection on Visual Arts and its implementation in practice through a creative work. The exercises are raised around the awakening of the senses, stimulating the creation of images that make us experience wanting to touch, listen and be in this specific place.
Creativity must be at the origin of the concept, present at the initial moment where we give answer to the question we are asked, and should be shared by all the participants, being the common thread of the process. Everything results from creativity.
The Program consists in
- Online campus. A conference offer will be combined with various extension webinars and small group consultations. The topics will be: camera and photography, the silence of the light, the work of the architecture photographer, imagine the finished photograph before starting to take it, workflow with Photoshop and Lightroom, see on the monitor or print on paper, editing and publishing.
- Creative Atelier. Each participant will make a free-themed photographic report, putting the knowledge learned into practice. There will be corrections by Hisao Suzuki and RCR Arquitectes.
- Open Program. A series of conferences in common with the Architecture and Landscape and the Audiovisual workshops.
Lenght: 10 days
Teaching Load: 64 hours
Level: Introductory / Advanced
The workshop will take place on the virtual campus that RCR Lab·A has developed for this edition.
In order to carry out the online workshop, the following technical requirements must be met by the participants:
- Computer with recommended minimum screen resolution of 1440px
- Adequate Internet connection to access the e-learning platform, download and upload content and make video calls
- Updated browser (Chrome, Edge, Safari, Firefox, Opera)
- Installation and registration (free account) of the video conferencing program Zoom
Recommended Computer Skills
For participation in the I International e-Workshop of Photography, skills in the following computer programs are recommended:
- the photo editor Adobe Photoshop
- the application for digital composition of pages Adobe InDesign
Spanish is the common language. We recommend a basic knowledge of Spanish. English is the second official language of the Summer Workshop. The activities will be carried out in both languages. The videos will be in Spanish or English with subtitles in both languages.
Participants of the I International e-Workshop of Photography will receive a participation certificate issued by RCR BUNKA Private Foundation.
Tuition Fee of 415 Euros.
The amount of the tuition fee is possible thanks to the collaboration of different public and private institutions, and companies, and is therefore subsidised.
Until Friday, June 5, 2020
- Profile: The workshop is aimed at persons over the age of 18 years from all creative areas.
- Registration Form: Submission of the registration form with all details of the candidate.
- CV-Portfolio: Submission of a brief curriculum and the portfolio in pdf format (max.2 MB), with the file named as follows: portfolio-name-surname1-surname2.pdf.
- Full documentation: Applications that do not provide all the requested documentation will be excluded from the selection process.
- Admission: The submission of the registration form does not guarantee the direct entry to the program. All candidates will be part of the selection process.
- Selection criteria: for the selection of participants will be considered the information on the registration form and the cv-portfolio.
- Places planned: 20
- Selection of participants on the First Call: until Wednesday, June 10, 2020. Communication to participants admitted, not admitted and on waiting list.
- Selection of participants on the Second Call: until Friday, June 19, 2020. Communication to participants on waiting list.
- Communications: All communications will be via e-mail.
The tuition fee amounts to a total of 415 Euros,
- Participants admitted on the first call will pay the registration fee until Wednesday, June 17, 2020.
- Participants admitted in the second call will make the registration payment until Friday, June 26, 2020.
- Candidates who do not pay within the deadline will automatically be excluded from the program.
- In case of cancellation after Tuesday, June 30, 2020, tuition will not be refunded.
- The mode of payment will be through the Stripe payment platform.
- Friday, June 5, 2020. End of registrations
- Wednesday, June 10, 2020. First call: Communication to admitted, non-admitted and waiting list participants
- Wednesday, June 17, 2020. End of tuition payment for participants admitted on first call
- Friday, June 19, 2020. Second call: Communication to admitted participants of the waiting list
- Friday, June 26, 2020. End of payment of registration for participants admitted on second call
- Tuesday, June 30, 2020. Non-refundable cancellations.
I International e-Workshop of Photography
- Monday, July 13, 2020: Start of workshop
- Wednesday, July 22, 2020: End of workshop
Architecture Photographer, Director of Nature Urban Architecture Art (nuaa)
Director of the I International e-Workshop of Photography
Hisao Suzuki (Yamagata, 1957) is a Japanese photographer who lives in Barcelona for more than 30 years. He studied photography at the Tokyo College of Photography (Tokyo Sougo Shashin Gakko) and starts his carreer with the photographer Tohru Minowa, specialized in gastronomy. His relationship with Barcelona and his interest in architecture are intimately linked with the work of Antoni Gaudí. An exhibition of the prestigious photographer Eiko Hosoe on Gaudi in the Yokohama City Hall in 1978 triggers him to explore Catalan Modernism and, subsequently, contemporary architecture through the collaboration with the Japanese architect Arata Isozaki, author of the Palau Sant Jordi for the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, documenting the process of construction of the Sports Palace.
Since 1993 he collaborates with the architectural journal “El Croquis”, becoming their principal photographer and contributing significantly to the recognition of the magazine as one of the most prestigious and international publications on contemporary architecture.
Within the Visual Arts, Photography differs from other disciplines by its relationship to reality, a concrete fact, the existence of a model. The look of Suzuki to architecture derives from the visions created by Eiko Hosoe on Gaudí towards a reflection on space. Space as three-dimensional fact involves an intrinsic complexity since the format of the picture is an image in two dimensions. Hence, the interpretation of a work of architecture by a photographer is decisive. In the antipodes are a look that wants to reflect with great fidelity the architectural space and its environment, and its opposite, the personal interpretation of details that enhance a particular vision. The photographic work of Hisao Suzuki represents the position of the faithful and thoroughly documented testimony of reality. He is Director of the Workshop since the first edition.
He has been director of the International Workshop of Audiovisual and Photography in the RCR Summer Workshop on-site editions from 2013 to 2019.
Júlia de Balle
Visual Communication Expert, Founder of BroadcardFilms
Tutor of the I International e-Workshop of Photography
Visual Communication Expert
Assistant of the I International e-Workshop of Photography
Alba Domènech (Banyoles, 1987) holds a degree in audiovisual communication from the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) in Barcelona (2009) and a postgraduate degree in innovation in audiovisual content creation by the UOC (2012). She combines currently the work for public organizations and the private sector with teaching at the School of Art and Higher Design of Olot. Previously, she held a position as communication manager at the NGO aecc-Catalunya contra el Càncer. He has been an assistant to the International Workshop of Audiovisual and Photography under the direction of Hisao Suzuki and in collaboration with Júlia de Balle in the RCR Summer Workshop on-site editions from 2013 to 2019.